Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Four wheels

Masekarti

One of my long term dreams is to build my own sportscar. The three things that are most needed in a project such as this -- that I don't have currently -- are space, time and money.
So to give me the feel of this type of build without the above requirements, I figured I would scale down the build somewhat. So I'm going to build a approx 1/3 scale minikart. I was thinking intially a pedalcar, but because the body is going to be fairly narrow, an electric minikart is a better option.

The intent is construct the Masekarti similar to a real car build. So it will have a sheetmetal or aluminum body and a simple ladder frame chassis. I will be using 10" diameter spoke wheels on it and it will be powered by an electric sccoter motor (250W-350W) with a couple of 12V battery packs and a speed controller.

I figure the Masekarti should be good for 20-25km/h with 3-5 year old child piloting it.

So what I am going to build? Well, I have an appreciation for vintage/classic sportscars and racing cars from the 1940s/1950s/1960s time periods. So I have decided on building something similar in spirit to the 1949-50 Masertai 4CLT.


With the make/model of car selected, the next task is to make a 3D CAD model of it. The purpose of the model is to build a buck that I will use to help metalshape the  Masekarti body.

I went online to a couple of sites that have freely available blueprints and found the one I needed. So after putting in a number of hours, I came up with this basic model. I still have to design the chassis and other mechanical pieces (steering, front/rear axle mounts etc), but this model will allow me to create the buck and start metalshaping.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Looking good! I like the new fender better, too. Looks like a fun car...

Mufflers