Saturday, July 17, 2010

Back at it

CNC Mill

It was fun while it lasted, but I decidede to sell it to free up the (little) time I have to focus on my metalshaping/motorcycle projects.

XS650 Cafe Racer 

So I am back at the motorcycle project. I have to work furiously now to get what I can done during the summer.

The gas tank now has the fillercap, petcocks and front and rear mounts installed. I designed the front mounts such that they use the stock frame ears. It works well.

Gas Tank

I reworked the seat cowl to butt up to the tank. When I get around to upholstering the seat cowl, I can make it flow from the gas tank. 

Seat Cowl

The front fender is completed, I am now working on the mounting for it. I will be creating a fender mount that is also a fork brace.

Front Fender

Here is a pic of the gas tank and seat cowl set on the frame.

Tank and seat on frame

The exhaust system is being worked on also. I am creating it out of 1 5/8" stainless steel  tubing. It will be 2-into-2 system with short (15m") megaphone mufflers.

Exhaust Tubing Exhaust Port

 Miscellaneous Metalshaping

In my last entry I mentioned starting to work on creating a gas tank and seat cowl out of aluminum. Here is the original tank that I am using as a reference.

Reference Tank

I have started to shape the tank pieces. Here are a couple of pictures showing the progression from flat sheet to some rough shape.

Flat sheet Roughly shaped 

Here are a couple of pictures showing the seat cowl buck and the initial shaping so far.

Seat Cowl Buck Buck and Rough Metal

I am also creating in aluminum another gas tank identical to the steel one that was made for the Cafe Racer. Here is the progress on that so far.

Gas Tank

To weld these tanks and seat cowls I will be using gas welding, same as I use for welding steel sheetmetal. Gas welding sheet aluminum has it's own challenges, and is more difficult than steel sheetmetal. Why use gas welding for aluminum? Well, aside from it being the only welding equipment I have available, gas welding aluminum allows for a stronger weld. Gas welding can achieve full penetration of the weld joint more effectively than TIG welding.

Here is my first crack at gas welding aluminum. The first picture is the weld bead, the second picture is the weld bead filed down. Both pieces were butt welded.

Gas Weld Gas Weld Filed

No comments: