Saturday, July 17, 2010

Still at it

XS650 Cafe

I am trying to finish up leak test/repair on the tank this week, and then I can seal it.

For leak testing I hooked up a bicycle pump to one of the petcocks, and used a spray bottle with soapy water to check the joints. I found a a number of pinhole leaks that I sealed up using lead solder. I decided to use solder instead of welding to minimize the amount of heat being applied to the metal. Welding the pinholes would require to much heat leading to more warpage.

I will be coating the tank with POR-15 sealer, so if I miss a pinhole or two, it will be sealed. I would just prefer to eliminate as many leaks by soldering them first.

I also cut out the padding that will be going on the seat cowl. I stil deciding if I should increas the thickness in some areas.

Starting to mockup the exhaust header pipes. I need to get some stainless filler rod, then I can proceed to welding the tubing.

Photobucket

No comments: