Saturday, July 17, 2010

CNC Mill(er) Time

CNC

I am gearing up to use the mill to cut out some prototype parts.

 What I wanted to do before this is to build an enclosure for it.  I haven't done that yet, but I am probably half-way there. A friend of mine who runs a metal fabrication business bent me up two 26" x 40" 16 gauge sheetmetal trays with 3" walls. The plan is to use them for the top and bottom of the enclosure and use .5" thick fibreglass coated plywood for the sides. 

What I have installed is just the bottom tray, over the spring/summer I will finish the enclosure.

CNC Mill with tray

XS650 Cafe Racer

It has been a slow slog to finish off the metalwork on this motocycle, but I am slowly making headway. I have fully welded up both the gas tank and the seat cowl. Next step is to install some petcock bungs (2) on the tank and do a pressure test for pinhole leaks. After that install a filler cap, the front and rear mounts and call it a day for the tank.

Tank bottom Tank and Seat

Miscellaneous Metalshaping

I have been really eager to get into doing some projects with aluminum,  so I purchased a 4' x 6' of 3003 (.063"). My plan is to create a another gas tank and seat set like the one I am currently working on, but this time in aluminum and polish it.

As well, I have another gas tank that a friend of mine gave me that I like the shape of...it is more box-like. So I will be making two aluminum tanks of that tank design, but stretched 1.5" longer. I am in the midst of designing a seat cowl to match the flow of this tank.

No comments: